Sound Project Final Cut and Reflection

Sound Project Prep

These are some brainstorming inspiration pictures I found on Pinterest to help me visualize what I wanted to make for my sound project. Above is my first idea, a spaceship podcast. Below is a picture for my slightly less-developed idea of a laundromat soundscape. Originally I was thinking I could do another story with that, but now I think it might be more interesting to just make a cyberpunk laundromat soundscape. There’s lots of potential in that without the fear of having to write every-day-esque dialogue that tells a story in that sort of setting.

Tech Ex Audio Repairs

For me, the hardest repair to get the hang of (and I’m still not sure I have got the hang of it) was the removal of a specific sound. I ended up just using the spot removal tool in the waveform editor because I couldn’t get the hang of the “learn sound” thing, it kept cutting out the voice.

Also, I completed this project independently, that is to say, without the LinkedIn course because for some reason I couldn’t get my login to work. So instead, I searched up online for the different techniques I had to do.

Tech Ex Radio Call

Vancouver’s only Folktronica Station
OH YEAH Edit

Using Audition, I edited a radio call using the files provided for me via this class, which is labeled “OH YEAH Edit”, and I also created my own radio call with my voice recordings and various sounds and SFX found online. I wanted to make it kinda funny so I searched online for the most obscure musical genres and folktronica was up there. Though I’ve discovered that I don’t actually mind it! However, the music clip used at the beginning of that edit is actually a funk tune I found, not folktronica. I suppose a downside of wanting to be cheeky is not being able to find the right sounds in online databases!

Tech Ex Foley

This foley was daunting at first, but once I got going it was fun and much simpler than I had anticipated. My favourite section is the sound of my cat purring. I think I should make an ASMR audio for just him!

I chose to follow the second list of prompts, so I have 3 clapping sounds, 3 door knob sounds, 2 human voice sounds, 3 lamp clicks, 3 laughing sounds, 4 purring sounds, and 7 takes of running and walking on pavement. That last one was the hardest for me to capture. logistically it was fine, but I recorded down in my garage to minimize outdoor sound and still had to pause every few seconds for a car passing by my house. The pavement in my garage isn’t the cleanest either, so you can hear little bits of grit under my shoes in the sound clips. The clip included in the final cut was actually a walking clip (even though I said in the narration that it was running), though I did try to take some running ones I didn’t think they sounded realistic enough. Running in place for the sound of the shows on the ground is harder than you’d think! I had to be careful of the sound of my pants swishing too, trying to isolate the shoes alone. I think I managed pretty well though. The shoes I used are a pair of my old character shoes from ballet training. They’re made of canvas and are soft shoes with a small heel that gives just enough click-clackiness.

Not sure where my lists went for this, but I did make a chart! If I find it I will put it here.

This exercise was really interesting and I have a great time exploring Adobe Audition! I’ve only ever used Garageband and iMovie for editing in the past, so it was fun to see similarities and differences between the programs as I learned.

The section in the audio where they say “people read books to forget about things” sounded fine in Audition, but once I exported it and listened to it again, it sounded too loud. So in the video, I edited it in iMovie and leveled out the volume a bit so it doesn’t sound so out of place, but the audio file above is the original export and still has this discrepancy.

There were a few hiccups and the slow realization that my right ear is a little off from the left, but other than that, I really enjoyed exploring Audition with this lab.